Old 15 Jul 2014, 18:15 (Ref:3434188)   #31
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
The block is the only part of the engine that has to be original, doesn't it? (And as both Citroen and Peugeot are part of the PSA group I can't see their being a huge difference in the Peugeot and Citroen blocks) I assume that the heads etc. that they put on the engine will be similar on both.

If Peugeot were building the engines in house I could see them having issues producing a reliable engine with double the power demands of the R5 specification, but Oreca should be able to produce a reliable engine, shouldn't they?
Rallycross engines must be based on blocks that have been used for engines of the same trademark. A recent example of how far that can go is the 5-cyl. engine that Stecka Walfridsson used last year in his Renault Clio. Dunno if Lukas Walfridsson is still using it. Its block came from an engine that was used in the 1991 (!) Renault Safrane.

I understood that the engines that Peugeot used in Group B times for the 205 T16 E2 were very reliable. I'm no engineer, of course, but wonder if those engines, updated to 2014 standards, would still do well. Back in the days they produced 600+bhp with 1760cc (x 1.7 = 2992cc = 1210kg), without air restrictor. Not with up to 2056cc (x 1.7 = 3495cc = 1300kg) like most SuperCars currently run. For to have a weight advantage of 90kg one doesn't need a 1600cc engine, but can go up to 1760cc...