Thread: Cliff Hammond
View Single Post
Old 6 Oct 2014, 17:00 (Ref:3461357)   #19
exflagman
Racer

exflagman is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
I endorse the comments in the last post. Cliff's main legacy to marshalling was his role in the creation of the BMRMC along with his brother John. In addition both he and John where prominent committee members of the North West Region when I first started marshalling.
I recall turning up on spec for an Oulton Park Training Day on a freezing Feb morning to be greeted by this guy with the words 'You look frozz youth, come into the BMRMC caravan and have mug of tea'.
A few years later Cliff was fundamental to me becoming a flag marshal, when I turned up at Lodge for a day running about on the bank with a fire bottle to be informed by Cliff that 'we're short of a flag marshal and I've decided your it'.
Hence my first day flagging was for a mixed grid of F1's and F5000's. Nothing like being broken in gently...

Thanks Cliff for the advice and support over the years, and the good times on post.
My favourite quote from Cliff was at a HSCC meeting at Donington at a point when mainstream F1 was going through a major debate on the future power units/tyre etc. A well driven 250F came drifting through McLeans and Cliff just said 'In my opinion F1 should have just one rule - any power unit you like provided it can fit in the profile of that car'.

RIP Cliff