View Single Post
Old 21 Dec 2015, 13:25 (Ref:3599170)   #757
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Nice maths. I think your wrong by a factor of one million. However that is for both.

You also need to allow for the period - i.e. Wimbledon fortnight. You've attempted for F1, but not the tennis.
I suspect 1.6m is an average game or the highlights package - the finals will be higher. Although there is no google involved in this guess. I wonder if I am nearer despite making this up.

Anyway I came here to say on thing:
Thank heavens it isn't ITV!
First thing to remember is that these are BBC numbers, not world wide. Did more Googling on Wimbledon. They quote 15 minute reach figures, but given that most of the UK will fit into the 15 minute reach bracket, that's hardly a fair figure. Similarly, F1 likes to quote the 15 minute bracket and it triples the figures.

So the 2014 Mens Singles Final averaged at 5.9m (significantly higher than my previous Google result!). So that sways it back in Tennis favour. But then, Wimbledon is £40m for 2 weeks of sport, whilst F1 is £55m for 9 months of sport. So that sways it back.

However, despite F1s higher initial cost, it appears to come out as better value than Tennis no matter how it is looked at. So the initial point still stands - BBC was never going to keep F1. You can blame the Goverment for not supporting the BBC, and you can blame the BBC for not managing the sport equally. But I don't see how this particular one is Bernies fault given the numbers.

But really, this deal puts F1 in an even worse place than it was this year. Those without Sky Sports will still be stuck with half the races. The BBC coverage is good, but I don't see Channel 4 being any better. I do see ads creeping into the live races, just like ITV did. So anyone watch on free TV is no better off. The suggestion of having it between Sky Sports and BT Sport would be a disaster. Those without Sky Sports will almost certainly not have BT Sports. So there would be no free coverage in the UK? Lovely.

When do I get to opt out of my TV License now that I'm paying for quite literally nothing now?