View Single Post
Old 21 Dec 2015, 15:15 (Ref:3599202)   #766
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Akrapovic, it is too easy to misuse figures without even attempting to do so, and you seem to have done so with the viewing figures/time periods about both these sports.

Yes, Wimbledon may only last 13 days usually, but there is wall-to-wall TV coverage lasting a minimum of about 10 hours per day over the two main channels, plus all the additional feeds on the red button which covers the lesser courts. That all totals around 250 hours for the fortnight, and it all takes place almost down the road from BBC Towers.

With the GPs, it is slightly more difficult to look at the figures. The Beeb show just 10 races/qualifications live which means that they broadcast about 65 hours live plus around 30 hours for the delayed "live" races. In addition, there are the highlights programmes which possibly account for another 30 hours or so.

So, allowing for distortions in my calculations, F1 has some way to catch up with the hours that the tennis is available during that fortnight.
The numbers I gave were pre-Sky. So this is when it was exclusive to the BBC, and not a split of Live/Delated races. This of course was only the contract details. However during my Googling I did find a couple of articles saying BBC might drop Tennis too (whether or not there is any merit to these suggestions, I do not know). This would just further my opinion of wanting to opt out of license packages, as they cut viewing options back.

Last edited by Akrapovic; 21 Dec 2015 at 15:20.