Thread: IMSA USCC in 2016 and 2017
View Single Post
Old 29 Nov 2013, 22:25 (Ref:3338351)   #10
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
The two types of cars have to have the same lap times at every track.

Possibly one type will have a better chance to outrace the other (DPs on speed tracks, P2 on handling tracks) but the lap times have to be the same—otherwise, the race outcome is predetermined. Some tracks only DPs could win, some tracks, only P2. That is not racing.
In my personal opinion (and I completely respect you having a different one), I couldn't disagree more. My favourite time in any racing in the last decade was the P1 v P2 ALMS races 2006-2008, where the beauty to me was that in some tracks the Audis would win and on some the Acuras and Porsches would be able to beat them.

Personally, I don't much care for championships (which is my problem with the WEC), I watch the individual races for enjoyment and I would be delighted to have a similar situation to that previous era, where the DPs play the role of the Audis and the P2s the role of....erm, the P2s.

One powerful, robust and unbreakable, the other lightweight, nimble but fragile.

With no BoP changes, I think a DP or, failing that, a GTLM would win at Daytona, I don't trust the P2's abilities to last the distance on such a tightly packed circuit (especially if one has the combustable Mazda turbo and the others are driven by Brown and Sharp!).
This obsession with overall lap times doesn't show the bigger picture of races to me.