Thread: IMSA DPi Discussion
View Single Post
Old 25 Mar 2016, 06:06 (Ref:3626969)   #156
BrentJackson
Racer

Canada
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
BrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
You know we could just, not have protoypes at all.

Ask me this question, can the GT cars carry the series?
Not happening now (unfortunately), but I think that's gonna be the future. Technical development in automobiles now isn't about going faster, its about becoming more efficient while still going stupidly fast. The prototype world hasn't got anything new to offer most makers, but GT racing, where they can show off their latest and greatest sports cars, does.

LMP1 is ludicrously expensive, LMP2 is just for privateers and rich playboys (and the ACO has made it that much more so now) and LMP3 (is Europe and Asia, it's never coming to IMSA me thinks) is the same only slower and uglier. The ACO's absolutely infuriating demand that somebody be prepared to spend tens of millions of Euros to run in the world's biggest sports car race is going to one day come back to bite them in the backside.

To answer your question, yes, I do think the GT cars can carry the series. Hell, make it possible to bring cars like the Ferrari LaFerrari, Porsche 918 Spyder, McLaren P1, Lamborghini Aventador and Pagani Huayra into the sport and you'd probably be making many fans forget all about the prototypes. But to get that, you'd need to allow hybrids, which is a whole new can of technical worms for both the series and the teams. That said, I think one that will end up being the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
We can't have a P1 series in the same way we can't have a American based F1 series, can we?
I wouldn't be surprised if P1 dies entirely in the next five years, knowing just how ugly Dieselgate is gonna be for VAG and Toyota's history at Le Mans. Now, I'm not hoping for that and could be wrong, but the cost of them is awful high to make a real good business case, and they are impossible for all but the most financially well-endowed privateers to race with.