Thread: IMSA DPi Discussion
View Single Post
Old 25 Mar 2016, 13:30 (Ref:3627088)   #163
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Abridged version: It is easy to say that building a modern sports racing prototype is cheap. Let’s see the proof.

P2 nor DP were ever about “technical advancement.” They are/were cost-capped economy series and mostly Pro-Am, because without the Am drivers forking over cash they teams couldn’t survive.

“Natural Selection” is a biology concept, not a business concept. Business people survey the situation before deciding to start a business, and since so few chassis manufacturers are making any money, most business people do not want to start a race-car business and fail ... they naturally select a better investment opportunity instead.

Daytona Prototypes were never as fast as P2s, Google it. Current DPs are about as quick as the IMSA version of P2, with more weight and the wrong tires—but the DPs need more power to achieve the same performance, which means they are less efficient, which is Not technical advancement.

DPs’ tube frames weigh more than CF tubs but are no stronger. Less weight, same strength=technical advancement.

Fans liked P2s more than DPs by a sizeable margin based both on IMSA polling and at-track attendance.

None of this has anything to do with DPi. BrentJacksion hates the DPi rules, and I certainly don’t blame him, but for myself, I choose to try to understand instead of simply hating.

I look at IndyCar and what they have been going through with their split and their search for a new chassis—they couldn’t afford even four options—and I realize that while the DPi rules are a painful compromise—as I have already stated repeatedly—I also realize that compromises are necessary if the series is to actually survive as a business.

People looking for either Rolex 2.0 OR ALMS 2.0 are asking to repeat failed plans, which would be pretty dumb.

If DPi works, then maybe in five or eight years there will be sufficient fan- and sponsor interest to support a top class which includes some kind of development. Right now, the money doesn’t seem to be there. I would sincerely love to be proved wrong ... so please, someone, write that multi-million-dollar check to find that new and improved top class.