View Single Post
Old 28 Feb 2018, 19:48 (Ref:3804682)   #14
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I'm guessing Sky, like NBCSports here in the US, has an exclusive distribution for the feed within their UK area. That apparently was THE sticking point for NBC, they wanted TV feed only and any internet coverage to run through their app (as I believe they did with F2) and FOM/Liberty wanted the OTT coverage ESPN was willing to allow.
I believe what you mention was specifically called out in the media reports awhile back when it was announced that it would be moving from NBC to ESPN. ESPN agreed to there being an OTT solution was not run by them. I don't think NBC was going to agree to that. Especially as the NBC solution would have had an overall higher price tag (given they would run their own commentary team while ESPN will not).

Given the lack of traction of F1 in the US, I can imagine that if this OTT solution is at least competent and if they manage to actually penetrate the small number of existing US viewers, that at that point no regular US broadcaster would want F1 as OTT may have stolen away the (small) core viewership.

Richard

Last edited by Richard C; 28 Feb 2018 at 19:54.