View Single Post
Old 30 Jan 2011, 12:43 (Ref:2822679)   #36
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
For us youngsters who are too young to remember, was the Bomb hole at one point a proper drop in circuit height or has it always been the same as it is now. I can't see how it now warrants it's name apart from historical reasons.
To my knowledge / understanding, it is not a name of any historical connection, and does not go back to the war / dropped bombs etc..... although there was a munitions store on the west side of the circuit back pre motor racing when it was known as RAF Snetterton Heath.

In fact I think the naming of the corner is fairly recent - ie since the 1974 shortening of the track. At that time the corner had no name and also had become a difficult point of the track for the bikers, the corner often dumping riders on their back sides. It very quickly became known to the bikers and crowds as 'the Bum-hole' for obvious reasons......

However that was modified by commentators and those wanting / needing to be politically correct, and is now known as the 'Bomb-Hole'.