View Single Post
Old 31 Jan 2011, 11:08 (Ref:2823137)   #45
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Greenslade View Post
This is where my memory fails me me, but I do know that the tub was from a McLaren M23!!!, possibly either Mike Hailwood's or Denny Hulme's, what I do know it was scrapped to accident damage, the driver I believe suffering leg injuries and then it was donated to the Marshals to practice on.

Here though is the interesting part, I believe the several times burnt out aluminium tub found its final resting place there, and may still be buried there today. However many years later I believe McLaren were in dispute with someone who claimed to own this car (a possible ringer re-constructed). Mclaren claimed the car was scrapped and that there was no trace of what happened to it......

.....I am totally convinced that this was an M23 but I don't know exactly which one or what happened to it eventually.....!
Although not proof by any means, Mike Hailwood had his career ending accident in a McLaren M23 (Yardley liveried) at the 1974 German GP (also called the European GP that year) at Nurburgring. Both his legs were broken so from the perspective of M23, Hailwood, and Leg injuries it meets the brief of what you were told. It may well have been that car......