Thread: Gregg Hansford
View Single Post
Old 17 Oct 2003, 20:24 (Ref:754738)   #11
rossp1
Rookie

rossp1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Greg was indeed a great guy with an in check ego it is often rare for famous motorsportsmen.
Greg,s death was probably the hardest thing I had faced in 25 years of motorsport.
He was killed in the lead car of a 2 car team owned by Ross Palmer Motorsport[RPM] the other car being driven by my son Darren.
He was also my close friend and to have an incident like this happen in your teams first outing certainly makes you think long and hard.
Primarily a HANS device would have helped,however he also sustained seriousinternal injuries from the failure of the side intrusion protection.
In memory of Gregg and for the good of the sport I started on a 7 year campaign for the introduction of HANS systems in Australia.
Unfortunately their final adoption by motorsport regulators came too late for 23 year old Stewart Mc.Coll [VW Works Golf R32]who lost his life at the Same Track in a round of the Australian GTP series this year.
HANS systems were finally approved 1 week before his death.
For all racers and team owners the eventual compulsory adoption of head and neck systems will go a long way to making our sport a lot safer.
RIP Greg and Stewie.