View Single Post
Old 12 May 2012, 13:36 (Ref:3073050)   #14
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Ha! Glad I'm not the only one with a problem.

I only remember getting some strange looks and having to do a lot of explaining. In many ways I was right though. To me he was the embodiment of the American dream (or the dream of anyone of making it big). A poor chicken farmer and part time dirt track racer catches the eye of Aston Martin. He was the second American to win at Le Mans but is forced to quit due to a bad heart. He then starts his own car company and is tasked by Ford to single-handedly take on the best the world has to offer and wins. I know some of the story is embellished, but it is the "John Henry" type character that I choose to remember.

I'm sure wherever he is tonight he is rightfully behind the wheel of one of his cars and getting up Enzo's craw.
Everyone on this forum has a problem

Shelby was America's Enzo, both starting as drivers and then going on to found and build eponymous cars, and battled each other for glory, interestingly neither ever raced, as drivers, their self-named cars.

Even a non-racing business student could find much of interest in these men's management, project leadership and brand creation styles.