View Single Post
Old 19 May 2012, 22:35 (Ref:3076611)   #28
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speaking of bun fights....

V8 VETERAN Russell Ingall has slammed his younger rivals as soft, "latte-sipping rich kids" following a Twitter war with rivals including Jonathon Webb, Michael Patrizi and Dean Fiore.

Latte's on the ground please... now, handbags at 12 paces!

Quote:
Known as the "Enforcer", the former champion last week took to the social media website to blast his rivals with threats of "smashing" them after they responded to jibes from the Holden driver about their training habits.

Several prominent drivers use Twitter to post details about their training regimes, which include regular bike rides and runs.

Ingall poked fun at their need to tweet their training feats by saying: "Just smashed 150k bike ride, just smashed a 5 hour gym session, just smashed a latte, just starting to sound like a lot of other drivers."

The post made waves immediately, with Tekno driver Patrizi offering to take Ingall out for beer, fish and chips before telling him to go easy on the anti-ageing pills because he might pull a heartstring.

Webb posted a picture of a man in an electric wheelchair, claiming it was Russell's car of the future, while Fiore uploaded a picture of a freshly brewed latte.

"At the end of the day, they can come and talk to me when they have done something," he said. "If they want to mouth off, then they have to get ready for it. It doesn't bother me what they say but if they want to take a swing, they better be ready to cop one back."

In an intriguing interview, Ingall revealed he joined Twitter reluctantly and accused the motor sport fraternity of dribbling on the popular social media application.

The often outspoken Ingall switched to the Walkinshaw stable at the beginning of the year following a stint with Paul Morris Racing.

"I know it is the future but I am old-school," Ingall said.

"I was reluctant to join Twitter and it was a commercial decision to actually do it. (Sponsor) Supercheap wanted me to do (it), so I did.

"I made up my mind that if I did it, I would not dribble like the rest of them. I really think most of it is mind-numbing. That might be old-school thinking but most of it bores me. I like the concept of it because you can keep it short and sharp and keep people informed, but man, some of the dribble! I am not going to do that.

"Since being on it and looking at it, especially the motor sport stuff, it is the worst out of all of it. Some of the footy stuff is OK, but with the motor sport, it is dudes sitting there with a latte. I can't understand why anyone would want to know about that. I reckon it is just dribble, so I had a go at it.

"And if that includes sticking it up some of the others, then bring it on."

Rather than continue his attack, Ingall applauded his rivals for sticking it to him.

But he was adamant they would not have the courage to do it in person. "That is the sad thing about the sport," Ingall said.

"Back in the day, you (knew) where you stood but now most don't have the balls to say anything; you can always come and see me or pick up the telephone. I mean Greg Murphy does and I think that is good. Great value!

"You should know when someone has a problem but now they hide behind media people. I guess Twitter is good because we are getting some of that character back but we are all learning about its limitations and its reach."

Ingall stood by his claim that half of the V8 field were latte-sipping rich kids.

"I think there is a bit of that creeping into the sport," Ingall said.

"It is no different from any motor sport. You probably have to line up the people that should be there and the people that shouldn't. That is the way it is. If the other half want to mouth off, then they have to get ready for it."