View Single Post
Old 25 Jun 2014, 21:52 (Ref:3426468)   #19
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Did they cut Hamilton's wages or refused to give him a hike? There was grumbling at that time of that kind.......

.........I think the Alonso 'grudge' is overstated too. I believe Dennis when he says that he'd have him back if circumstances aligned.
Dennis tends not to get into slanging matches on air, but I can tell you that he was royally p*ssed off about the two you mention above. With Hamilton, he let it known, via Whitmarsh, that they weren't getting into a bidding war with Mercedes over him, because that was what Hamilton and his advisers were trying to attempt. They offered him an increase, and told him to take it or leave it because they had had enough of Hamilton going backwards and forwards to Mercedes to screw more potential money out of them and then telling McLaren to match it plus a little extra.

As for Alonso, he may smile when talking to him or about him, but it is through gritted teeth. It was because of Alonso's actions that he had to step down from being team principle, and cost the team all it's 2007 constructors points and a $100 million fine. Alonso had been destabilising the team because the team would not acknowledg him as the number one driver, and on one occasion actually stopped Hamilton from getting a last flying lap. Alonso was aware of what had happened between Coughlan and Stepney, and when he threatened to send details to the FIA, Dennis believed that Alonso was making false allegations.

As Teretonga says, Dennis is a much maligned person, but he demands loyalty. He amply rewards that loyalty, but he also remembers actions of those who betray him and his largess. A fine example of that unstinting loyalty is the fact that Martin Whitmarsh still works at Woking, and yet he is not vindictive, as shown by the fact that, if I remember correctly, he let Alonso leave without completing his contract that had about another year to run.