View Single Post
Old 15 Nov 2016, 10:40 (Ref:3688218)   #47
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
I think it's fair to say that keeping the number of rounds down keeps the costs down - GT500 in particular has tended to generate had a lot of complaints from teams about running costs over the years.
Yeah, let's not forget this. After all, the main reason the DTM regs were adopted was because all three manufacturers wanted to stem the spiralling costs without losing face to each other. The double-header was great to watch, but it was due to extraordinary circumstances and all the teams had plenty of notice to make any extra preparations. I seriously doubt that it would run as smoothly if it were to become the norm.

Hopefully the push for international recognition (for which Bandoh deserves great praise) frees up the purses a bit and the series can be expanded to 10 rounds, which should be within the means of most of the regular GT300 teams as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
My question has always been in this series.

How on earth do you restrict something like a Lambo or AMG Merc down to 300hp!!!

Or are they silhouette cars with normal Japanese engines in them? It's been going on for years in the 300 class, and I have never quite understood the rules of that class! Using V8 engines and engines that produce 600HP in the big cars or in GT racing, yet here are somehow restricted to 300!
To add to the previous explanations, maybe in the first few seasons the plan was to try and keep the two classes at 500hp and 300hp respectively, but if that was the case then it was quickly abandoned. The class names are just a holdover from that time. Even the JAF/MC cars make closer to 400hp now, so clearly for them to be balanced against much heavier cars, the GT3's BoP must be similar to VLN/Blancpain (i.e. 500+hp).

For instance, if you were going to rename the top class more accurately then it would be called GT700...

Last edited by J Jay; 15 Nov 2016 at 10:53.