View Single Post
Old 14 Nov 2003, 02:54 (Ref:782759)   #1
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
creative rule bendings

First of all, hello all, its been a long time since I've been properly in here, and on a historic note, as I've just turned 40, I'll be expecting some elderly respect....not as much as Mallet etc, but some still the same.

now, to the topic. Today I read an article with an interview with Dan Gurney and he was talking of the GT40 and Lemans in 66 or 67. He mentioned a cute "Nascar" trick (his words) that the team used to have the ride height of the car high enough for inspection, but then to go down for the race. In the cockpit, there was a little wire that the driver, when out on the track, would pull and it would then pull out these "disposable" washers in the suspension that would lower the car down a bit. Being there of course for the tech inspection, the car could pass over the thingee they used to check ride height, but then after, a little pull on the wire and presto, lower.

Neat idea, and I'm sure you lot have many other stories from the past of creative thinking.......

on to you