View Single Post
Old 18 Feb 2018, 08:58 (Ref:3802111)   #83
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
I haven't seen the full timetable for the historic event in relation to the WRC but is it not the case of the stages being multi use that is the problem? So the WRC cars go through, then the WRC2 cars, then the various other classes (including historics) - then they go off and do other stages and then come back to repeat the stage. So the WRC cars go through first again but are running in whatever ruts have been left by the whole field on the first pass - then the rest of the field follows them through.

It's the same problem you see on forest events over here where the 2wd cars end up struggling through stages that have been chewed to pieces by the 4wd machines at the head of the field. It's rallying - you just have to deal with the conditions you're faced with.
They will always have to deal with the other classes of WRC no matter what, everywhere. But they have the same tires at least.

Historic cars is something they mention every year. Ogier seems to be sick of it and he is pretty much "punished" for being the best at Monte Carlo. He is in tenth at the moment +4:18 after Neuville. I think that says it all about the conditions he as to face compared with those later back on the start list.

The biggest problem with multi use in Sweden is the gravel that comes due to thin ice. Weather problems, this rally's to be or not to be, can make the stages even worse. In this case the stages are in bad shape already and multi use makes it much worse. The ruts is a problem just for the first few and it gets faster with every car.

I agree to some extent that a drivers has to deal with the conditions. But since it is a World Championship round and guys who compete at the very top level of rallying, they shouldn't be bothered by 40+ cars competing for the heck of it.