View Single Post
Old 23 Jul 2011, 10:04 (Ref:2930050)   #23
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post
Do Moto GP forums have these types of discussions or do they just get on with it?
AWESOME post.

When all branches of motorsport are homogenised into generic sportscar designs, that's when I think I'll finally be jaded enough to pursue other interests. IndyCar is already going that route by adding what have already been referred to as 'bumpers' It's funny, I don't remember wheel to wheel contact being anywhere near as much of a frequent problem in the US prior to the IRL and their flight happy Dallaras with underpowered engines that encourage pack racing.

F1 has never been safer, but it seems to attract more health and safety zealots than any other formula. It's funny how national series such as British F3, still mega quick relative to the old-school circuits they race on, just go about their business while there's a predictable over reaction and debate after every big accident in F1 these days (ie. Perez at Monaco).

Sensible improvements have been made (ie. raised cockpit sides, barrier technology) but the sport has to retain an element of risk; it's simply part of the spectacle and what makes these drivers HEROES doing something we know we could never do. No-one is forcing anyone to race in single-seaters or F1. If someone feels that risk isn't for them, then go and do touring cars or sportscars or take up some other sport.