View Single Post
Old 17 Nov 2008, 20:50 (Ref:2336598)   #7
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Further note of interest regarding the ARDT BTCC cars was that if I recall correctly Jon Dooley's car was initially based heavily on his GTV6!!

It certainly used the GTV6's engine and running gear (that unique exhaust note in 2.5 trim gave that away) and may well even have shared the same chassis?!!!

With this in mind, Rob Kirby's car may have also been based on his earlier GTV6 as well, not sure on this one though.

Rob did have a monumental shunt in his though I think? and that might have been the end of his top line saloon career as maybe only Dooley ran the 75 into 1987 & 88.

Having enjoyed my new '86 ETC dvd the other day, I noticed a lot of V6 75's out from mid season onwards that year, they did seem to be no quicker than the GTV6 and nowhere near the Vogt 325, but would've given some kind of set up info in readyness for the Turbo the following year.

Furthermore, KA's remark about the works WTCC 75's in 1987 is spot on. They assembled the right drivers, and whilst the M3 moved the goalposts somewhat in what it took for a manufacturer to be competitive in the midlde class, the Alfa would surely have got quicker and more reliable if the WTCC had continued in 1988/89...... the money would've been made available for the development.

The profile of the cars was excellent - the scarlet red and big bulging arches made them look dead purposeful!!

Last edited by chunterer; 18 Nov 2008 at 08:41.