View Single Post
Old 29 Aug 2017, 08:25 (Ref:3762548)   #4
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Fairly obvious it will be electric.
They've already made steps to stop using the term 'engine' by referring to things as a Power Unit.

As Armco says, it's almost certain that the drive will be from electric motors (rather than 'engines'), but what's up for discussion and is really really interesting if you're an engineering or science nerd is what the power source will be.

By that I don't mean whether the cars themselves will carry lithium battery packs (or carbon nanotube batteries, or some other exotic technology that we don't have yet) but where does the power to drive the motors come from?

Could be on-board hydrogen fuel cells, could be solar, could be wind, could be coal/petrol/gas (stranger things have happened), could be nuclear, could be we have a Norwegian GP powered by hydro-electricity

There's all manner of untapped potential sponsors if F1 starts looking at it from the full lifecycle of the car and energy source. It'll be interesting, that's for sure.

All that said... I don't think F1 will be in the vanguard of these technologies; I think it'll lag behind.

Last edited by Greem; 29 Aug 2017 at 08:54. Reason: Egads, your/you're slippage!