View Single Post
Old 1 Sep 2011, 03:06 (Ref:2949204)   #49
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Guys, you're REALLY over-estimating how many of the LMPC and GTC drivers who are a particular worry to bin the car.

The Turn 5, left/right flick doesn't look that awful. Even with a fair few "amateur" drivers, FIA GT did NOT have a crash fest at Bucharest, where they had more than one of these lane-switching chicanes. Turn 5 has an escape road. And anyway, I'd be more concerned with the hard right that follows, and the apparent wall jutting out at that point. However, at that point, the field will pretty much have to be single-file, so I'm not sure that that sport will be a huge worry either.

Even looking at the temporary circuits F1 runs at (and I mean Montreal and Melbourne here), there are choke points where even a partially broadside car would block the track. At Melbourne, it's between Turns 5 and 6, as well as after Turn 7. And the Turn 5 sweeper at Montreal was the site of one mother of a Star Mazda pile-up/stunt show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRXKt1G5fec

Finally, that simulation makes it look like the lanes are more on the order of 8-9ft wide, when a road lane is actually 12ft wide. So, it will look narrow at speed with the walls right there, but not as narrow, I don't think, as this simulation might indicate.
Have you watched LMPC this year? Half the PC field seems to be driving like idiots! GTC hasnt been that bad but then there is the Orange Bathtub. Please tell me this after the race is over on Saturday, and Im sure as hell hope you are right. Id rather watch a boring street parade than a boring street parade crashfest.

I will be much more impressed if the race/event lasts longer than Belle Isle or Houston did than if the race is clean though!

P.S. the GT battle should be really good though! If it rains then another Falken victory is likely.

Last edited by FordCosworthPanoz; 1 Sep 2011 at 03:16.