Thread: LM24 Radio Le Mans
View Single Post
Old 13 Jun 2013, 06:50 (Ref:3261931)   #44
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
I think this keeps a sense of perspective to things. It's absolutely fantastic to have RLM coverage at the track, and podcasted race coverage is tremendous for listening to in the car during the off season, but equally there are times when there's just as much pleasure to listening to the French commentary, which somehow has a certain level of extra energy to it, or even resorting to just looking at cars circulating and enjoying the ambience of the place.
I agree, but you really need three ears for that! One for RLM on your headphones, one for the sometimes very excitable French commentary and one for the ambient noise.

Like some others here, I've been going long enough to remember pre-RLM days, when you had to wait for the hourly english update on the circuit's P/A system - at least RLM means you're always up-to-date and, since reception's just about possible at our relatively remote campsite, it also means that I can get instantly up to date when I wake on Sunday morning*. The great pleasure of Radio Le Mans is that it conveys the feeling that it's a bunch of amateurs (in the literal sense of the word - they love what they're doing) who nevertheless work in a very professional way.

Incidentally, I also remember ?1985, when there were tv screens dotted around the place which showed the race positions.

* My apologies to those for whom it's unthinkable actually to want to sleep while at LM, let alone leave the circuit!