View Single Post
Old 19 Sep 2000, 15:46 (Ref:38010)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I am interested in the subject of gravel traps and the configuration of modern circuits. From my perspective gravel traps work a darn sight better than grass. Also if we go to tarmac run offs we (the spectator) will be even further from the action than we are now. Get onto a wet tarmac run off and you can kiss goodbye to any stopping ability.

As Tim says, these guys race for the sheer thrill of it although I don't think you'd get me into a 250F or a Dino 246. iI always enjoy watching others throw them around.

BTW Tim. If you told Corner, Bell, Green or any of the other single seater drivers that you thought they were only going at 9/10ths you could expect a fat lip!!!

I sympathise with your thoughts of driver safety however, I think the trouble lies with us and our ever more safe and steralised world rather than the intrinsic safety of the cars themselves. We tend to look for excuses when something bad happens and then when we find a culprit we try to legislate against it. Why should anybody question the safety aspects of the cars at all? They run as they always have and that's why the public enjoy them so much.

Dan,

I remember talking to Rod Jolley at Coys in 1996, the weekend he first drove that Cooper. He had recently taken delivery of it after a trip from Australia. Its an ex-Brabham car. (Unless its another one in which case I will stand corrected).