Thread: Rules Future Rule Changes
View Single Post
Old 28 May 2020, 16:14 (Ref:3978952)   #3847
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
To be honest - I don't know what they mean in terms of racing. That's why I'm interested if there is a correlation between reduced down force and better racing?

Does it demonstrate that the link between down force levels and quality of racing exists? I'm not sure.
Define "Better", "Quality" and even "Racing".

On second thoughts don't, because that opens the door to yet another agonising hair-splitting argument

I'll just leave Formula Ford in everyone's mind. In the simplest form - treaded tyres, no downforce at all, more or less equal grunt - but *fantastic* racing. Changes of positions, slipstreaming, dive-bombing, teaming up, six wide through some corners, slides, oversteer, understeer. Desperately inefficient and nowhere near the mechanical and aerodynamic perfect balance that F1 is, but bloody good to watch.

If I want to watch breathtakingly close, exciting, makes-the-hairs-on-your-arms-stand-up racing then I'll carry on attending the Walter Hayes Trophy meeting at Silverstone every November.
If I want to watch technological perfection with some of the best drivers in the world driving some of the finest pieces of automotive technology at their limit, I'll watch F1 and the WEC. It is possible to admire and/or like them all for what they are, and not wish them to be something else!