View Single Post
Old 6 Jan 2000, 04:03 (Ref:6829)   #12
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally, I believe the different series has different things to offer the racing/showroom world. I think (some say too stubbornly) Nascar has little to contribute in terms of technological advancement. It all goes back to the "old, but "obvious excuse"--the technology is just too old". What could pushrod engines possibly contribute to the world? Within another 5-10 years, GM would be finished or near finished in replacing it's entire lineup with OHV instead of pushrod engines.

HOWEVER!!!!! Nascar can certainly WRITE THE BOOK on how to market/run a successful and appealing racing series. Absolutely NO other series can compete with Nascar in this area. Nascar business/marketing/promotions should be worshipped and studied. Heck, it's the business/marketing side of Nascar that attracts me to it!! You need a strong marketing/business plan to promote and grow a series. Nascar had done everything right!!! F1 and CART (Openwheel and even other touringcar series)? They're nothing in this area.

Consider the success of DTM and V8Supercars? They are successful because they followed the Nascar formula of offering recognisable and "down to earth" sponsors like UPS and McDonalds. Not sponsors like Visteon,etc who are very fan UNfriendly.

SO in the end, I think each has taken a round? A tie in terms of usefullness! =)

Any responses??? Bought my fire/flame suit along just in case people want to respond!!
=)