View Single Post
Old 23 May 2010, 07:54 (Ref:2696415)   #55
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Corolla Queries...

A couple of questions, based on what we know of the results for the two Donington rounds and a couple of pics I've got.

We've identified a few Toyota Corolla entries over the season, but none of them seem to have been regular- they all appear in a couple of rounds at most.
  • Win Percy appeared in at least one of early season round in the 1982 Hughes Corolla before the Supra was ready/homologated
  • Jenny Birrell is a DNS at the last round at Silverstone in the ex-Percy/Hughes Corolla- the report in PC clearly states this was her first appearance of the season, and identifies the car as the Percy car (but doesn't make it clear whether this was a Hughes entry or the car had been sold on)
The others are the ones that really interest me- in the results we've posted so far, we've got:
  • Andy Driver at the first Thruxton round. All I know about him is that I've seen a pic on the Autosport Nostalgia forum a while ago of him in a Golf GTi with sponsorship by 'Wokingham Sports Cars' from a 1981 BTCC round (Oulton I think)
  • Tony Crudgington at the second Thruxton. We obviously know Tony from his later Corolla entries, but I think I've seen mention of him driving both a Fiesta and a Corolla in '82
  • Geoff Kimber-Smith- a probable DNS at the Silverstone British GP meeting after a shunt in practice. Again, a regular Corolla driver in later seasons
Now, bearing in mind that none of these seem to appear more than a couple of times, are we talking about 3 different Corollas, or a single car/team with no regular driver, but several drivers with short-term deals for a few races? For some reason I suspect it's the latter- in which case, who was running it, and who else drove it at which races...?

Secondly, I've got a couple of pics of the GK-S car.
The first is in the PC report for the GP meeting- a b/w pic showing and shows a dark coloured car with a wide lighter-coloured band along the sides carrying prominent 'Nashua' sponsorship, and race #87. The pic shows the car heavily damaged after what's described as 'an unscheduled stop into the pit wall during practice'
The second is one I found online ages ago (I'd post a link but can't remember where I found it...).
It looks like Donington, and shows Peter Lovett's Sanyo Rover lapping a plain dark red Corolla- the only visible sponsorship is on a windscreen sunstrip but I can't make it out (it's little more than a thumbnail pic) The car carries #87 and a front number plate with 'Geoff' on it, so I'm presuming it's GK-S again.
So far we don't have Kimber-Smith in the results for either of the Donington rounds, but the pic shows he was clearly at one of them- but which?
The only other car visible in the pic is a 635, so either the Sytner (present at both Donington rounds) or Cheylesmore (I think only at the second) car- it's a long way in the background of the pic so can't really tell which

Any offers?