View Single Post
Old 10 Mar 2024, 01:03 (Ref:4200658)   #41
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
That's the same Bearman who managed to not hit anybody (like several others did), didn't spin (Ricciardo), didn't clip an inside wall and end up "in the f***ing wall" (Stroll), managed the hybrid system, didn't murder his tyres, didn't screw up the SC restart, overtook people, didn't break the car, finished in the points, drove further and faster than he'd ever done before...

...and all on one of the toughest circuits F1 races on in terms of forgiveness (it has none) and cornering. He'll have a stiff neck tomorrow.

But yep, F1 cars are too easy to drive.

Or, y'know, maybe he really is just that good?
I agree he looked like a totally accomplished F1 driver despite having just one hour of preparation, which seems extraordinary. But my point is that a performance like that is only something you would expect only from someone who would go on to be a generational talent, which may be the case with Bearman but seems unlikely based on his junior record, and in the last two years we have seen similarly extraordinary debuts from De Vries and Lawson under similar circumstances, and so it is becoming a trend. I think Bearman absolutely deserves a drive at Haas next year at the latest, but I don’t think he would destroy Hulkenberg in the way that someone with a debut like that might be expected to, as was the case with De Vries in the Alpha Tauri.

I am suggesting that, however good Bearman is, I would just like for the difference between a driver at their peak and that same driver with just one hour of preparation in an F1 car to be more than 24 seconds over a full race distance, and don’t believe that it was an unusual feat of immediate form that Bearman achieved by managing that as De Vries and Lawson were similar.