View Single Post
Old 16 Mar 2017, 18:09 (Ref:3719140)   #236
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
I am just putting it out there, McLaren is a vastly different business now than it was in it's race and championship winning days, does it even need to be in F1 anymore and if the board take the pragmatic view that they can only win as a 'factory' team and they have tried the only option open to them to achieve this and it hasn't worked (so far), do they take the view that shareholders via the main Mclaren group don't want to support the F1 team and look at other avenues? Would McLaren be better off in FE and Le Mans to support and promote the various arms of it's operation.
interesting thought to put out there!

i want to say Ron was a big believer in the need to have exclusive factory support in order to win...would be a tad ironic if the board that ousted him have a similar belief.

if Mclaren take Liberty up on its offer to buy into F1 (an offer which has an expiry date) then that would signal their commitment to the sport beyond 2020...a lot of optimism about the new financial deal that Liberty are willing to make post 2020 so its difficult to imagine they will think about something other than F1 until they hear that offer (and whatever possible lump sum incentive payment they might be able to negotiate for themselves).

just speculation on my part, but they can always follow the Williams approach and work with a far more modest budget.