View Single Post
Old 11 Jun 2017, 17:02 (Ref:3740297)   #2080
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sunday, and the plan was to get 2nd in class as I would NEVER beat the Evo Mini ever, so I was pleased to get to the track to brilliant weather. Forecast was dry until 1 or 3.00pm, so the first run had to count.

Got in the car, all strapped in ready, engine running and called to come to the start line with my class Mates, except...no gloves.
Could not find the bloody things at all so panic set in until the paddock marshal borrowed a set from another competitor and I just made it to the start line in time by seconds.
To the start, still buzzing and set off hard and angry.
Do you think I could get a clean 1st to 2nd? no, so after some repeated attempts from neutral got going with a heap of time to make up this twisting and fast 1 mile long hill.
Came up to Keepers hot in second and went for 3rd read to clime Cedar Straight. Went from 2nd to 1st which is not good for this 6400 red line engine, but caught the 'buzz' and got third a treat.

Hit the awkward Cedar Straight and dived hard into the 90 left, Fallow. Got out of there with a chirp from the slightly understeering front tyres and up to the blind 80 deg right that is Museum corner, and the car squirmed all over the place (it felt like) hit nothing, settled going dead-ahead (nothing to do with me, just a good car with an ace set-up) and went for the finishing line as hard as I could.
Wheew, an exciting run.

Got a stonking 56.91/ 2.29 and just 3 and a bit seconds behind the EVO Mini and well ahead of Nigel in the NG V8. The Ferrari was a no-show today.

So, a 2nd in class and just 0.12 secs off my PB with a big operator-error in the middle of it.

The rain missed us and yet another gear shift issue gave me a 57.79.
Not a bad weekend of hill climbing, and all will be silent for over 8 weeks unless I can get into a few Clubbies in between.

Season going well so far, on plan.
Spanners crossed I'll get there!

Car is going on show at the glorious Chateau Impney hill climb on 8 July.
Might see some of you there!

Allen's EVO Mini, formidable.

http://www.irishnews.com/picturesarc...98d24ec8c0.jpg