View Single Post
Old 19 Dec 2011, 21:27 (Ref:3002001)   #23
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo1 View Post
I'm curious about GT-Rs comments before (although I wish he'd be a little less flowery with his hypotheticals), particularly about the financing.

He's right about the money not coming from Major Events/Tourism - that department knocked back supporting the race and recommended against it to the NSW Govt. They didn't feel the submissions stood up.

Ultimately, the only reason Homebush got the nod was because both Kerry Stokes and John Hartigan personally approached the NSW Premier of the month (so hard to keep up with the revolving door of NSW Labor Premiers), advocating for the event.

But McDonald is seen as the man who brought NSW the V8 street race, so it risks being tainted by association with him, regardless of any actual wrongdoing.

But, while slightly off-topic, the suggestion is that with Archer Capital now in charge and having had a chance to look at the losses incurred by V8SA over Homebush, it may in fact be the V8s that look for a way out of the contract. TC will fight that tooth and nail internally of course - Homebush was his decade long dream. It will almost certainly be there in 2012, but the final year is very iffy.

One of the biggest hints was around the Gold Coast 600 time. TC suggested that the Gold Coast event could be a great season finale, especially as the December date would remove a lot of clashes with other series for co-drivers.

It's a foolish suggestion for a few reasons. One - it clashes with schoolies week. Two, the drivers would go ballistic at the thought of a championship decider being a two-driver event. But, it showed that TC was already thinking about a replacement for Homebush.
Interesting isnt it... all is not what it appears... again

As for the Gold Coast race, there is no reason it couldnt be moved slightly to ensure it doesnt clash with Schoolies week... what it would offer though would be the series of overseas pilots suddenly available because their regular seasons are finished.

Lets see what happens next
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods