Thread: LM24 Race Lack of Nighttime Broadcasting
View Single Post
Old 6 May 2012, 17:20 (Ref:3070289)   #22
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I agree with you, it really ought to be done, but of course, being there watching the event, I'm obviously not so fussed! I think back to the 80s when I first started going and all the cameras were switched off during the night then too.
Think I overall agree with the tenor of this, but in the wider context is that where ACO cash should be spent? From my perspective, I've never felt that racing in the dark makes for fantastic footage, especially in the absence of significant floodlighting - as such I'm perhaps a little less agitated about the reduced camera activity overnight.

It is striking how far we've come though - if you look at the highlights programmes from 1981 and earlier there's the distinct impression that there was one camera that shuttled its way around the track over the course of the 24 hours and it was purely luck rather than good management that ensured the capturing of anything of any substance.