Thread: Rules Future Rule Changes
View Single Post
Old 14 Jul 2015, 22:58 (Ref:3558636)   #1273
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keycube View Post
Someday we will see that it is all about degree; the autonomous car is here, and it is only a matter of time before the driver is in fact merely a passenger. It's inevitable that the day will come when motorsport will have to take a back seat to passenger car technology in order for it to be anything resembling a "driver's series". If automatic transmissions were as light and as reliable as (semi-)manual boxes, should they be allowed in F1? They are proving to be the faster alternative in passenger cars, so should this be mirrored within any series that purports to represent the pinnacle of technology?

Mr. Casto, I'm totally not arguing with you whatsoever; merely raising a point (that just happened to strike me when I saw your quote) that the line will inevitably have to be drawn, so does it really matter where, as long as the racing is good?
F1's never been about road car relevance, though some of F1's technology has ended up in the road car.

Things will continue as they are until the FIA, or whoever is in charge in the future, decides there's no point in racing cars with an internal combustion engine.