View Single Post
Old 8 Jan 2014, 03:31 (Ref:3351437)   #82
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden308 View Post
That's true chunterer. Grice, Ravaglia and Dieter Quester were all at Zolder, then Bathurst, then at Estoril for the FIATCC race, so why TWR couldn't (or wouldn't) is a mystery and since TW has passed I doubt we'll ever know the true story.....unless Win Percy ever talks about it. TWR had enough drivers and Rovers around the place, and even had connections with a couple of Rovers in NZ they ran during the early year Nissan-Mobil series.

You say about TWR's involvement with Holden in 1988. Probably better left for that thread but its interesting to note that the TWR built VL Commodore SS Group A was found to be illegal (along with the Perkins built HSV team cars). Was it a case of Tom believing the cars would be passed fit by the FIA scrutineers who were at the Tooheys 1000? He wouldn't bring his Rovers out in 1986 when CAMS scrutineers would be running the show, but was happy to bring out the Commodore when it was run by the FIA and their less strict chief scrutineer Marcel Servis from Belgium. I also don't think they thought anyone (Neal Lowe) would put in a counter-protest

racer69, I too remember the Amaroo 300 interview with Wilko and Gentleman Jim. It wasn't until late that it was announced TWR wouldn't be coming to defend their Bathurst crown because JRA couldn't justify funding the deal. I doubt their no-show had the local teams crying over it though.
The JRA-funded 1985 campaign was much rumoured to have burnt through over $750k to bring the 3 TWR Jaguars to Bathurst.

Roadways & Allan Grice were reported to have been looking for backers for an ATCC assault for the whole championship & the endurance races for around $400k per car!

Given that JRA was also struggling with currency issues, as well the vagaries of its bus building operation, it was no surprise TWR wasnt invited back
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods