View Single Post
Old 13 May 2017, 16:46 (Ref:3733249)   #31
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedcat View Post
It's never been that great a circuit to race on. I think the most memorable races are :-

1991 : The first race held there. Senna and Mansell going wheel-to-wheel down the main straight with spark flying everywhere. Who would break last into the first corner? I doubt that sort of thing would happen with the modern day aero on the cars.

1992 : Held in the wet. A rare mistake from Senna in the wet - and he went off the track and didn't finish. Schumi looked superb and was managing to catch Mansell, but Mansell started going faster. A superb finish from Jean Alesi in third as well.

1994 : Schumi driving to a superb second with his car stuck in fifth gear for most of the race.

1996 : A superb win from Schumi. One of the his best races. In the wet and in the underpowered Ferrari - he took on both Williams and pulled out a massive lead to finish first, and took his first win for Ferrari.

It's a shame that the chicane was put in before the last corner - as before that, it was one of the best corners in F1. Only decent thing about the track - in my opinion.
Agreed - the new final complex is crap and hasn't helped the racing.

Was there not a year Hakkinen broke down on the final lap whilst winning? I kinda remember that. And Pastor winning and the Williams garage catching fire.