View Single Post
Old 4 May 2017, 13:19 (Ref:3730993)   #5345
sssssssss
Veteran

sssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasperG View Post
Looks like #9 is running considerable less DF (and drag) than Porsche. Their top speed is consistently higher and on their best lap was 305 kph, where Porsche (and #7 and #8 Toyota) was at 263-264 kph on their fastest lap.

Looks like #9 is in pure LM spec and won't make any competitive moves this weekend.
but then again, speed traps don't say as much as they used to (especially for a single practice session), since the hybrids usually lift quite a bit before the trap (remember audi once hitting 326 km/h last year on the kemmel and it's highest trap speed being 314 km/h). the top speeds at the end of the race might be a bit closer to the truth, since there are much more laps to choose from (but in that case, there also are more instances of slipstream drafting, so probably the highest top speeds are many times higher than what the cars normally do - i remember porsche doing around 292 km/h in 2015 and the max trap speed was 320 km/h - although in le mans it seems to be the other way around, the onboard telemetry showed higher speeds than the traps, even after the whole 24 hours). i'm quite sure the porsches hit much more than ~265 km/h at the end of the kemmel.

i suspect porsche are running a high-downforce version of their LD package, pretty much the same as they did at silverstone, in order to be competitive with the HD toyotas. and they sure are, their ideal lap (with the LD setup) is actually faster than toyota's ideal lap with HD setup.

anyway, so far, porsche's LD car seems clearly faster (~1.5 seconds) than toyota's LD car. but it's too early to draw conclusions, especially since toyota's LD was so fast at the prologue.