View Single Post
Old 13 May 2017, 03:53 (Ref:3733118)   #39
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldedge View Post
Hi Mark,
how much of a drivers results is likely to be determined by support team ( engineers etc) rather than just driving ability?

Also wouldn't the amount previous driving experience be a huge determining factors
in drivers results?

In other words is the experience in the class capable providing a career progression
path to other categories, if so would it not be worthwhile to stick it out for several seasons?

To me the future of all the main race classes whatever they are likely to be in the future is likely to be determined by the relevance, the motorsport growth path available
to participants and affordabilty.

One thing I believe may be lacking in NZ motorsport in general is the encouragement of young talent regardless of budjet.

Regards
Michael
Hi Michael,

Like your post by the way, you pose some good questions.

how much of a drivers results is likely to be determined by support team ( engineers etc) rather than just driving ability?

In the Ssangyong Utes Series, its 99% down to the driver, there is no data gathered, the damper adjustment has little to no effect, ride height is pretty much governed by the rules, toe changes make no real appreciable change, tyre pressures are just about the only thing you have to focus on and even then they have a very big 'window' so hard to get that wrong.

Also wouldn't the amount previous driving experience be a huge determining factors in drivers results?

Previous experience in karts and other categories all help, however, you only have to look at 13 year old Callum Hedge to see that with coaching from Danial Connor, this young man is now one of the Series best drivers, and I predict will go on to make a real name for himself in NZ motor racing, as the family has recently purchased Liam Lawson Championship winning Formula Ford.

In other words is the experience in the class capable providing a career progression path to other categories, if so would it not be worthwhile to stick it out for several seasons?

Sadly money is what provides a career path for any driver, Chelsea Herbert progressed into the V8 Touring class last season with Backing from her SRS sponsor MTF, so that probably the best example of somebody with not a lot of family money progressing through SRS. However, I am sure that if Danial Connor had the financial backing to progress beyond SRS he would do exceptionally well, in what ever he drove.

One thing I believe may be lacking in NZ motorsport in general is the encouragement of young talent regardless of budjet.

The one thing that MSNZ does very well, with the assistance of SPARK funding is the annual Elite Driving academy program.

Other than that it comes back down to money, if you really have talent like Callum Hedge and a family that can take you through several categories, then its still possible to raise money if you show exceptional talent, and have the inner determination to succeed.