View Single Post
Old 19 Aug 2007, 22:39 (Ref:1992363)   #6
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ger80
Thats not fair to Mr. Lavaggi, at least he did a few laps. Please add:
34rd Overall 16th LMP1 CET Porsche RS Spyder
Smile
Well, I can't agree. I think based on their present performance, I would have to rank CET slightly behind the Detroit Soup Kitchen Courage Cosworth.

But seriously, everyone is entitled to their own idea of how to rank things. I'd like to explain how I came to the conclusions I did, and the methodology. There are a few key cars there, particularly the RML Lola LMP2. I am only basing my conclusions on performances this year, by that team/car combination.

First, to be the champ, you have to beat the champ. The champ in the only head to head meeting of the LMP1 factories was Audi. Therefore, I concluded that so far, Audi is ranked higher. Perhaps Peugeot might have more potential, but they haven't beat the champ, and therefore cannot be the champ.

Now, Penske is 6 - 2 vs. Audi Sport North America this year... therefore I rank them above ASNA.

From there, I ranked the LMS teams against each other (putting classes aside), and the ALMS teams (which was easy, because outside of ASNA, the LMP1 is rather weak).

Like I mentioned above, RML was one of the keys. They are a very good team, one I feel ranks just around BK Motorsports of the ALMS. I should also mention that I counted LM at an LMS round, and awarded points accordingly, though it really didn't change much. Only a few of the P1 teams in the LMS have beaten RML consistently, those being Pescarolo, Charouz and Rollcentre. Given they are P1 cars, I ranked them ahead of the P2 group behind them. In truth, I think they might be a little more mixed than that, but who knows.

I've ranked the ALMS P2 teams based on their pts. standings, and placed the Porsche and Acura teams ahead of RML. Then RML. The balance of the mix is based upon results year to date, and guessing where those ALMS vs. LMS cars would be. Arena Zytek is lower than we might have guessed, but then they have only finished one race, and didn't beat either RML or Barazi then either. So, I couldn't rank Arena ahead of Barazi, given they've had poor results in the races, and my exercise wasn't intended to be a mock qualifying grid, but rather a random idea of how these teams compete over a season.

So, discuss, enjoy, we can update throughout the year, and hopefully some LMS teams do PLM, and maybe some ALMS teams do Brazil, to give more fodder for conversation.