Old 16 Nov 2011, 21:05 (Ref:2987418)   #95
boyndie
Rookie

Scotland
Scottish Highlands
boyndie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
What, because James won a reverse-grid sprint race from pole?

As I said he's good, but is he championship winning good? I don't quite think so yet.
Mmmm, a sour response....

Anyway here are just a few points of interest;
  1. In the Abu Dhabi GP2 predictions thread 6 out of the 7 predictors had Calado down to score between 0 - 3 points for the whole weekend. P-matt, you had him down to score zero points (ie not in top 8 in race 1 or in top 6 for race 2). 7 points, 1 race win and 15,000 euros later and he has clearly proved to be a much better driver than you think he is.
  2. "Championship winning potential" - Regarding Calado he held off the pressure from Ericsson in a manor and style that could easily be compared to any 2nd or 3rd year driver. He drove with the marurity of a pro. He may just have a very short "rookie" phase and therefore I would be disinclined to write off his championship hopes just yet.
  3. In the sprint race the ART boys both clocked their fastest laps on lap 17. The latest of all the drivers in the top 10. The key factor in sprint races is tyre degradation and "ART team" seem to have that box ticked.
  4. Calado was "vice champion" in GP3 behind Bottas and previously BF3 behind Vergne. Vergne is currently clocking good times in Red Bull F1 car and Bottas is matching Maldonado in the Williams. These are two cracking drivers.
Calado is definitely champion material.

Last edited by boyndie; 16 Nov 2011 at 21:29.