View Single Post
Old 26 Nov 2016, 17:14 (Ref:3691179)   #2052
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Managed to pinch a few hours on the Lola this afternoon, so good time to get the box off and check the clutch condition.
These aluminium Sach units are pricey nowadays, so my spanners were crossed...

A few things have to be freed-off, the top cross mounting, the hydraulic clutch, the pesky UJ bolts, a fiddle even when this car is so open, murder on a 911!
Found one of the 1972 UJ bellows had split, lasted just 44 years. I have a universal cover to replace it, the other side failed this time last year!

After the usual wriggle the box slid of using my trusty transmission jack, a god send and saves erecting the engine hoist to pluck it off the engine.
The clutch off next and all is perfect, 6 years of hard hill climbing and it looks new. Man-maths says I've just saved £500, The Boss? She was not so convinced in my logic.

Flywheel is stock 1986 and in full working order, so will save that under the bench for a rainy day.
Took it off and found the crank seal to be arid-dry (self built engine ) and when everything is cleaned the new wheel will go on.
Chris @ Fenn Lane argues the flywheel cap head special screws can be re-used, so will clean and re-fit with the lightest of Loctite as I did before.

Things are going well, so something is bound to change that. :blackeye:

Last edited by 911thillclimber; 26 Nov 2016 at 17:44.