View Single Post
Old 25 Mar 2017, 18:35 (Ref:3721462)   #2060
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
FINALLY go to run the car today for the Practice Day at my favorite hill climb venue, Loton Park.

however, a week ago I thought I would give the car a general clean, oil the rose joints and re-fit the body and wax it.
Got the car down to the ground and blew the tyres up as per routine and notice before fitting the body the NS Front wheel had an alarming amount of negative camber compared to the OS Front. The tracking looked out-of-kilter too...
Put shims under the one side of the car, front and back wheels until the car was level (the garage floor is 'builder's finish') and set my Dunlop camber gauge on the OF Front wheel and got 0.5 deg negative, just as McClurg Motorsport had set it (on both wheels) several years ago.
The NS Front was 3 deg negative. Not good.
The car must have been like this for 18 months and it is my fault.
When I replaced the twisted front top wishbone I carefully set the camber and toe-in.
Clearly, I don't do it as well as Sean at McClurg.

Out with the spanners and got the camber the same as the other side and set the toe in at 2mm inclusive (difference between the front and rear lip of the wheel across the wheel diameter.)
It certainly looked right, straight and true.

So today, on a glorious dry clean track I took the car up 5 times.
The lightweight flywheel is magic, the gears changing crisply and the car drove a dream, almost like a saloon car!

Got down to 57.03 sec, my pb is 56.89 so an excellent result.
I'm chuffed with the car and the sorting of the front end, bet Sean is smiling at this now!

Prescott in late April and the start of the championship for 2017.
I want that award again!