View Single Post
Old 9 Jun 2004, 15:04 (Ref:998536)   #22
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick B
Why do you think the ACO is putting smaller spoilers and fuel tanks on the non 2004 compliant LMP cars? They want people to but the new cars(WR, Courage etc). Same reason they let ALL of the 2004 spec cars in LM ahead of some old cars(Autocon Riley etc).

Some people might not like it but thats they way it is...
I think the changes last year had less to do with "buying the new cars" and more to do with the "Prop up the Daytona Turd Boxes" that can't outrun a Mustang on Steroids in Watkins Glen qualifying, or in Race Competition at Fontana...

I watch the Series...I remember these types of things....and I still don't like it....

As for the ACO changes 2003 specs cars to run in 2004, look at the Audi Test Day Times for this year with these "restricted" cars compared to what the Audis ran last year in qualifying, Patrick B....for that matter, compare the top times in Test Day with the 2003 LM Pole Time set by a Bentley last year.....

And keep an eye on what the Pole Sitter at LM's time will be this year...my bet is that it'll be as much as 2 seconds quicker, provided the weather is good...(not raining)

I'll agree that they probably want to reward teams that are building the 2004 specs cars because of their commitment to the future of the series and their expenditure was considerable to create a new specs chassis.....

But this apparent "attempt" to slow the existing cars from last year hasn't panned out in reality, now has it????

But I digress from the real issue in this thread....

Be honest, Patrick B....

There is no way that you can believe that these "Grand Am" rules revisions on the engines that we have been discussing is a GOOD THING for the Series....

It is going to prove to be very expensive for teams to make those changes to their engines, or they will have to scrap that Pontiac-badged power and spend a boatload of cash to buy power that meets these new regs....and in turn, refit the new engine into the chassis (possibly more modifications) and alter their existing drive lines as well....

So much for "combatting the HIGH COST of racing"...what a load that notion has become now!!!!

If I had Pontiac power in a DP and they dropped this bombshell on me, I'd be selling my chassis and engine and Going to the IRL....

The cars are more cost-effective (look it up...they ARE about the same cost as some DPs and cheaper than others) and the paydays are much, much better......

One American Open Wheel Series!