Thread: Rules Future Rule Changes
View Single Post
Old 13 May 2017, 09:47 (Ref:3733156)   #2292
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FIA extends the DRS zones 100m at Barcelona

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...ish-gp-905103/

FIA extends the DRS zones 100m at Barcelona

Personally what I would like if the DRS zones were moved closer to the last corner instead of lengthened to the last corner.

Why? Because now the speed difference is so large at the end of the straight often it isn't really a fight. (I know Barcelona is different because of the the last two corners).

If you keep the DRS length more or less the same but instead move it closer to the last corner you achieve two things:

1 You "remedy" the problem closer to where is occurs, namely cars having difficulty following each other in fast corners. You allow the following car to close back up earlier and from there they have a chance.

2 The DRS closes sooner as well so the speed difference at the end of the straight will be smaller which makes for more interesting and less dangerous battles. (remember the outcry by some about MAX daring to move on the straight in Spa?)

I know it won't be possible everywhere, because at some tracks the DRS/straight is already to short with these cars. But on the tracks that do have the room and there are many (Canada, Monza, Bakuh, Austria, Spa, Mexico, probably some more) this would be the preferred option in my view.

PS1 I understand that at higher speed (end of the straight) DRS makes more of a difference

PS2 Yes I too would rather not have/need DRS in the first place.