View Single Post
Old 14 Jun 2004, 08:46 (Ref:1003213)   #36
kartingdad
Veteran

kartingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Trouble is the BRSCC has got series such as Zetecs and Renaults. Stuart is looking forward to the Walter Hayes though.

Very good point about competing with trackdays though.

The trouble is these days I think everyone wants to make money out of the competitor rather than the spectators.

If organisers spent a bit more effort promoting their racedays, then they would make money from punters rather than bleeding the racers dry.

More speccys means more exposure means easier to sell sponsorship means more racers in better cars means better racing means more speccys means.....

More expensive costs to racers means fewer racers means less speccys means harder to sell sponsorship....

It's not rocket science is it?

Look at the national Zetec Series for instance.

Championship registration fees for Scholarship go up. In return Scholarship contenders get -

No press releases (that I have seen anyway)
Miniscule hospitality (A small awning with a powerless (!) water cooler.
No media training - as happened last year.
No fitness advice - ditto
No class awards presentation on podium - ditto
Now - NO TV COVERAGE.

And they wonder why there are only 17 entries. Can't be the racing as top 12 within 1 second in qualifying.

The answer I think is that competitors have nothing visible to sell to sponsors.

However when you look at some of the other championships on TV you wonder what is going on really.