View Single Post
Old 6 Dec 2016, 09:04 (Ref:3694116)   #25
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
I really don't buy the contempt for most modern cars- having had the misfortune of driving utter crap from 60s-eg Viva HA; 70s- eg Allegro ; 80s eg Nissan Bluebird and 90s eg Peugeot 106D most modern cars are far , far more capable, more safe in a shunt and much better on mpg. Nobody loves the look of an Elan, an early 911 or a 275gtb more than I do but let's just remember the hideous rubbish foisted on the car buying public in the past .....
"Grey Porridge". Conveyances to get you from A to B, and that's about it. Sometimes you didn't even get to B.

Couldn't agree more. My first car was a '66 Viva HA SL and I recall having to check the oil and water every week, and adjust the brakes every month. I check the oil in my present car every 5k miles, just out of interest because it never needs a top-up. Cars today are incredibly efficient in every way (unless you work for Greenpeace).

That Fiesta is a small family hatchback, but looks the same size as a Cortina from the '60s. Such is the price of gadgets and safety installations.