View Single Post
Old 6 Dec 2016, 20:48 (Ref:3694294)   #27
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
I really don't buy the contempt for most modern cars- having had the misfortune of driving utter crap from 60s-eg Viva HA; 70s- eg Allegro ; 80s eg Nissan Bluebird and 90s eg Peugeot 106D most modern cars are far , far more capable, more safe in a shunt and much better on mpg. Nobody loves the look of an Elan, an early 911 or a 275gtb more than I do but let's just remember the hideous rubbish foisted on the car buying public in the past .....
a valid point but how much did you have to pay for those cars?

using that ford fiesta as an example...this car new in Canada starts at about CAN$20k(including taxes)....a person working full time in Canada (40 hours a week) at our minimum wage (between $10-11/hour) only makes 21K a year before they pay income taxes...and the fiesta is one of the cheaper entry level options.

i cant imagine any of the cars you drove back then ate up that much of your salary.

anyways, at todays prices (and relative to current average incomes) and especially for those looking at entry level vehicles in the small or family car segment these cars do not meet any sort of definition of value imo.

and they are ugly to boot!