View Single Post
Old 4 Jan 2007, 22:54 (Ref:1806675)   #24
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
I'm open to the fact that the Mercedes V8 was not so good. But also, the 2005 McLaren was very good at getting its tires to last the GP distance per the rules. I think I recall reading that the 2006 version was very kind to its tires and that perhaps it was not able to take advantage of the reintroduction of tire changes.
That's quite right. The re-introduction of pit stops effectively removed one of the advantages that the '05 McLaren had enjoyed.

It is also true, however, that initial running on the new Bridgestones happened to improve the '06 McLaren's front end considerably and also gave more consistency over long runs. So all the designers have to is carry that improvement over to this year's McLaren...

Getting back to Flavio, he also said that Ferrari would also be weaker this year without Schumacher and Brawn so it wasn't all directed at McLaren. Just typical gamesmanship, really.