View Single Post
Old 14 Sep 2005, 01:36 (Ref:1407203)   #21
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think I know where the missing water is going. There's a small leak in the radiator and there's another one from the heater which leaks a bit right next to the pedals. I assume the latter is probably a "baked" seal in the system. Although I do have to say that there doesn't seem to be coming that much water out of those 2 spots which could indeed mean a faulty gasket. In the morning there aren't any puddles on the floor or anything.

The overflow bottle is hermetically sealed so there aren't any spillovers. In fact, during the last overheating scenario I checked both the bottle and hoses and found no leaks or humidity anywhere. Also, the water level in the bottle was the same as it was when the engine was cold.

I doubt it is the radiator cap as it was changed a couple of months ago for a new one although for a different reason.

Also, I live at 2600 meters above sea level. I once thought that the overheating happened because I was traveling from lower altitudes (and hence, hotter regions) but the last time I got overheating at 2800 meters above sea level and a considerably cool atmospheric temperature.

As for the anti freeze I've used several brands (including havoline Dex Cool if I'm not mistaken) as well as plain water (freezing is not much of a concern here as the temperature in the morning rarely goes below -5°C). No difference there.

I guess a partially open thermostat could explain could explain all the symptoms as it could be open enough to allow enough flow to cool during low/medium load situations but it could actually restrict the extra flow needed during high load conditions.

Although I'm starting to think that my mechanic was right and the gasket is damaged. Oh dear

The thing about this problem is not so much that it hampers my every day commute (as it doesn't) but that it is so frustrating. I rarely take the car out on the road but every time I take it I sweat bullets during the whole trip just waiting for the warning light to go on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebear
No. You need something really caustic. Commercial stuff is best.
Right, coke is supposed to be good at cleaning toilets and unclogging drains. Maybe I'll pour some coke into the radiator the next time the engine starts overheating....who knows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebear
Probably would get both of us in trouble as "English" is the official language of the forum. See the FAQ . In addition, my Spanish is extremely limited. If I need another language, I use THIS WEB SITE. I can get along in French and did so as a Marshal at LeMans in '99->'02
Yeah, I know. I once proposed to the admis to create a "foreign language" forum as I had already seen it in several forums but they didn't like the idea too much. Mainly because they said that they couldn't control what was being said.

I also know a bit of french. Been learning german for over 4 years now and I still haven't got the hang of it.