Thread: Paul Warwick
View Single Post
Old 24 Jul 2006, 16:07 (Ref:1663461)   #15
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Back in the late 1980s Paul was driving in the EFDA FF2000 series when it visited Mondello Park that September. His transporter was parked next to ours in the paddock and I remember Paul, his dad and his mom sitting on three deck chairs right beside us in the Co. Kildare sunshine. We were chatting away to them, they were all really nice people. It looked like life couldn't get much better.
Afterwards I took a keen interest in Paul's career and despite the problems he had in F3, knew that talent he demonstrated so convincingly in FF1600 would shine through later. It certainly did in the British F2 series and marked him out as a future F1 star.
I was literally stunned when I heard the news he'd been killed in Oulton. Derek's visible outpouring of grief afterwards was a reminder of what a close family the Warwick's were. I cannot even begin to think how devastated his parents must have been. The Autosport tribute [which contained so many messages from Paul's friends] a week or two later spoke volumes about how everyone in motorsport felt at that time.

RIP Paul.