View Single Post
Old 9 May 2009, 15:27 (Ref:2458603)   #5
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There certainly was an MG Metro International Challenge Championship in 1986. It may have supported higher level series at some of the tracks it visited, but it was also a standalone too. The series was run by Roger Dowson Engineering and was the only one make championship endorsed by FISA at the time... how times have changed... almost everything's one make today.

That year it visited :

o Donnington on April 5/6
o Nurburgring on July 12
o Phoenix Park on August 31
o Spa Francorchamps on September 14
o Le Mans Bugatti on September 28
o Montlhery on October 11.

Among the more well known drivers were mini/metro stalwarts such as Dave Carvell, Peter Baldwin, Chris Lewis and Dave Loudon. There were quite a few French drivers including Claude Boissy, Dominique Lenaert, Carlo Gomez, Andre Lechat, Didier Belz, Bernard Guillou and Jacques Lacoste. At the Phoenix Park event that year, Michael Cullen and Irish rally Legend Billy Coleman guested... in fact I think Cullen did a few more rounds of the series too. I noticed that Lawrence Bristow and the evergreen Tony Dron were entries as well. I wonder though, were those cars turbocharged or not. I know its a long time ago, but casting my mind back to the event in the Phoenix Park, I'm not sure that they were you know.
Attached Thumbnails
Park1986.jpg