View Single Post
Old 19 Feb 2014, 03:49 (Ref:3369943)   #66
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
Just reading about the demise of Australian Motorsport News so thought I should register and do my first post.
I bought it from when it started and took out a subscription when it had digital edition. Sub ran out with Dec 2013 edtion and I did not renew.
Over last two years it was getting worse and worse. I'd open it and a few seconds later have it finished as nothing to read, certainly no news.
The thing I did want to mention is their DECEPTIVE CONDUCT with page numbering. THe last page is numbered 98, but there are NOT 98 pages.
Pages 43 to 58 inclusive are missing, ie 16 pages. Did they think we were fools?
Also title is Australian Motorsport News but it was hardly that.
From some quick calcs on December, only 26% was on Australian circuit news.
Of those mere 22 pages, some 9 were on an interview with Courtney.
31% of mag was ads, and 22% was International stories.
People will vote with their feet, and these guys didn't produce what people obviously want. So I don't feel any pity for them.
It is not completely due to digital age, just not giving people what they want to read. One wishes for the good old days of Racing Car News.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo1 View Post
The Motorsport News masthead was not an accurate title for what the magazine had become. It was a legacy from when it started in 1993 when it was a genuine newspaper. The change came several years ago when the e-mag took on the news and the printed mag became a features monthly. To produce a more accurate title, they would have had to re-launch with a new brand - costly and confusing for the customers (and newsagents).

Page numbering - unless there's evidence of it in other issues I'd guess that was a production glitch. It happens sometimes.
And if you're wondering why it was closed - probably because there were only 31% of ads. So you were getting a 69% content - which is a very high proportion in publishing. Usually they go for around 40% of ads - at least they did in the old days when I was in magazine publishing.

There would be a collection of reasons that the magazine was closed. I found it a quality read, but you didn't.

But the only magazine dedicated to in-depth features for all Australian motorsport is gone. That's sad.
From memory the missing pages were the lift out state racing wind up weren't they.